Friday, November 12, 2010

The Cure

As most of you know, I have been very sad for the past week or so because my beloved Cassie was hit by a car and killed. I cried and moped and felt like I had a hole in my heart. Finally on Wed. I decided enough was enough. Surely there was a cat somewhere that needed me; a cat to fill that hole. After a phone call or two, I got a lead and headed off to see what I could find, and I found this!!



This little orange furball was left in a box by a dumpster with its two litter mates. Luckily someone good picked them up and took them home and I got first choice. I had some misgivings when I saw how tiny it was. I have not had a kitten in so many years. Most of my cats have been rescue cats; already grown when I took them in. As soon as it started purring in my arms, though, I knew I was hooked.

I had the vet check it out and he was unable to determine its sex as yet, so "it" has no name. It weighs 15 oz. and he thinks it is about 7 weeks old. It uses the litter box and eats Purina kitty food and plays with shoelaces and sleeps and purrs. When I am at the computer, it climbs up my leg and curls up in my lap and purrs. It also shows great interest in the monitor, following the movements and purring.


I was somewhat worried how Bella, our 75lb. dog would react to such a tiny creature, but I did not have to worry for long. She loves it!! The first day, kitty hissed every time Bella came near her, but now they are the best of friends. I hope to get some good photos of the two together in the days to come.

I will always miss the years of love and comfort Cassie gave me, but somehow the pain no longer hurts so much. I think this little one and I were meant to find each other.



Hopefully in a week or two, he or she will be given a name. Let me know if you have any suggestions. :)

12 comments:

  1. It is SO sweet and lovely!!! You want to bring it over to play with Golda?
    And something else Susan - I had once a dog, a collie and she was named - BELLA!
    Have a nice weekend and a LOT of fun with IT - till you know if IT is SHE or HE!
    Only YOU should name it! Or maybe T.W.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWWWWWWWW! SO glad you found each other, Suz! This little one is a beauty; I think he's a boy. I'm partial to ginger cats with traces of alley cat and always think they are male cats! What wonderful pix..I'm the kitty is an etsy fan so soon..so cute!!xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a darling little thing!. I think it's a *she* because I just see something in her eyes that says that (since I have four of `em). This lil thing stole my heart right away, and I can understand how he/she did that to you

    I am so glad you got this and although you will never forget Cassie, this one will earn a special place in your heart also...
    Hugs,
    Stevie j

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness....what a cutie! love her color and eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SUCH a cute babe! I love the pix of this tiny ginger ball of fluff. You have found each other now and life will get back to normal, day by day, as you hang out together and play. All babies are joy, two legged or four, and it's wonderful to know what an excellent home this tiny creature has found. Pats and hugs all round :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Suz, I'm so glad to read this sweet post and know that you and your little "it" have found each other. This sounds like a "match made in heaven," and who knows? Maybe Cassie had a paw in the match making. ^*!*^

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one is toooooo cute, Suz!! A little bundle of joy for you to love! xo Cait

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Suz, she is a treasury maker! Lots of pets to you and her from the "other" Suz.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my god!! Kitty is soooo precious! You are a kind soul, Suz! You both needed each other.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy smokes.... what an absolute delight! Loved reading all about her and of course the photos melted my heart. Your new kitty looks so much like one I had many years ago. Long haired, fluffy, and ginger-colored, and yes the blue eyes too. His name was Sassafras, and he was one special kitty. I know you'll enjoy this new baby, and so glad Bella feels okay with the whole thing too! Cheers to new family members!

    ReplyDelete
  11. cutest kitty! so sweet :) I'm a sucker for the furry ones... we have a himalayan!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, but it will be trouble! fun but trouble with a capitol T!

    ReplyDelete